A Report on the Colloquium on the Role of ICCAs in Achieving the Aichi Targets, that was held at CBD COP11, Hyderabad, India has been uploaded along with other issues that can be read in the CCA Global section. A Learning Workshop on Community Forest Rights, Organized by Vasundhara and Kalpavriksh on 2- 4 November 2012, CYSD, Bhubaneswar, has also been uploaded in the Forest Rights Act section
Here are some new stories that have blossomed from the Magic Garden. Neema Pathak writes about "How my Plants miss me when I am not around" and Arshiya Bose writes about, "The amazingness of earthworm poop!"
Do get your child to read some of the past stories from the Magic Garden
Just released is the new Issue of the Protected Area Update, No. 99, October 2012 (Vol. XVIII No. 5). The issues are edited by Pankaj Sekhsaria. Back issues can be browsed at the Protected Area Update section. Other Outreach Newsletters, People in Conservation, can also be accessed from the Documentation Center.
News on Events On Conservation, Rights, Food Sovereignty, Laws/Policies, And Related Aspects Of Indigenous Communities Held At CBD COP11'
Updates and News held at CBD COP11, Hyderabad, 8-19th. October 2012.
- Report of the Colloquium on the Role of ICCAs in Achieving the Aichi Targets, 13 October 2012, at CBD COP11, Hyderabad, India
- International Groups write to Indian Prime Minister to expedite implementation of Forest Rights Act, 15 October 2012 Just In!
- Civil Society Statement on Protected Areas, 10 Oct 2012 Just In!
- Global studies on Recognition and Support to ICCAs released at COP11'- Read More here Latest!
- CoP-11 on Biodiversity: An Opportunity to Go beyond Business as Usual - Commentary by Milind Wani & Persis Taraporevala Latest!
- India’s Economic Policies are Destroying Biodiversity and Livelihoods;Commitments Under CBD are Not Being Met - Issued by Indian civil society and community-based organizations, 16 Oct 2012 Latest!
- Press Release Prime Minister’s Address at CBD COP11 Is a Classic Case of Doublespeak, Kalpavriksh 16 October 2012 Latest!
- Halt violation of human rights in forests:Kalpavriksh, Greenpeace release report on Forest Right status in Coal mining areas, 15 Oct 2012 Latest!
- Statement Against the Guidelines on Tiger Reserves Submitted by the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA), Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF)- Issued by: Tushar Dash, Vasundhara Swathi Seshadri, EQUATIONS, 15 Oct 2012 Latest!
- India’s River’s are Drying, Fresh Water Biodiversity being Destroyed, and People Seriously Threatened from Mega Hydro-electric Projects - Can CBD help? 12 Oct 2012 Latest!
- Press Release- Marine Coastal Conservation, Statement by Indian NGOs, 9 Oct 2012
- CBD-COP11-The India angle by Ashish Kothari, DNA, 30 October 2012
- India pledges millions for global biodiversity by Vivek Nemana, New York Times
- Mention of BNHS Kalpavriksh press conference in story on PM’s speech at COP: Indian Express
- Coverage of BNHS coastal event: ECO – COP11 daily newsletter (issue 4)
- Activists Demand action on fading coastal biodiversity at (COP) 11 in Hyderabad
- Developmental Projects serious threat to marine, coastal regions
Latest Publication: The Second Act: Centre-State Conversations on Ecologically Sensitive Areas (2009-2012) by Meenakshi Kapoor and Kanchi Kohli
The Kalpavriksh Environmental Action Group annouces its latest publication: The Second Act: Centre-State Conversations on Ecologically Sensitive Areas (2009-2012) by Meenakshi Kapoor and Kanchi Kohli. This publication is a study looking at the interactions between the Central and State Governments on the issue of notification of Ecologically Sensitive Areas around Protected Areas and in the Western Ghats.